PRIVATE SNORKELLING SAFARI
SWIM WITH SEALS/ DOLPHINS & COASTAL SNORKEL
Want to design a snorkelling safari to suit your own needs and itinerary? Look no further!
Our 28-seater vessel, Sea Dragon, offers an intimate private snorkelling experience with wild dolphins and seals, as well as amazing coastal view and the chance to see other marine and bird life.
Private Snorkelling Charters come in 1-, -2, or 3- hour options with bus transfers available on request.
Arrive at The Visitor Information Centre in Penneshaw (Howard drive) where you will be fitted into a wetsuit, mask, snorkel and flippers and provided with a safety brief. Then jump on board our 28 seater vessels in search of the marine life that inhabits the incredible coastline.
Spot the cheeky seals lounging on the rocks and playing in the water. Then it’s time to dive in! These curious seals can be quite interactive and playful and provide a fun snorkelling experience. Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari is the only operator in South Australia that provides the opportunity to swim with the Long-nosed Seals.
Search for the dolphin pods that reside in these coastal waters and take the opportunity to swim alongside them in the wild. A truly unforgettable wildlife encounter. Your friendly guide will also provide informative commentary along the way.
Important Information About Your Swim
- Children must be 9 years and older for swim. They must be accompanied by an adult.
- Food is not permitted to be eaten onboard the vessel unless given prior approval.
- Water temperature is between 14-15 degrees. Expect it to be refreshing. We provide you with wetsuits and it’s compulsory to wear these whilst in the water. We recommend kids under 14 get fitted with 2 wetsuits.
- Please bring a warm jacket!! We will have waterproof jackets on board but you can put your warm jacket over the top when getting out the water.
- A swimmer line with buoys is often used at the back of the vessel for the dolphin swim. You may be required to hold onto this line at times with the vessel moving which will require upper body strength.
- These are wild animals and experiences change daily. It’s all up to the animals as to how interactive they become.
- Seal numbers vary throughout the different seasons. Numbers peak in winter and are at their lowest from Nov – Jan.
- This activity is not suitable for those with a pacemaker or those who are pregnant due to the electronic devices being used in the water whilst participating in the swim.
- Please note that this swim takes place in open water, therefore it is recommended you have reasonable swimming ability.
- No wheelchair access on board vessel
- You need to arrive at the Kangaroo Island Visitor Information Centre, 43 Howard Drive, Penneshaw 30-minutes prior to departure.
Swim participants meets us at the Kangaroo Island Visitor Information Centre, 43 Howard Drive, Penneshaw, SA. You need to arrive 30-minutes before your tour time to get suited up and undertake safety instructions.
These are wild animals and choose where they want to be and how much they want to interact. We do not force them into interactions with participants.
If wildlife does not permit you to go into the water on your tour and you are unable to participate in coastal snorkelling, we will provide a refund back to the viewing price.
Dolphins are present year-round in the waters around Kangaroo Island.
Seal numbers vary throughout the different season. Numbers peak in winter and are at their lowest Nov-Jan.
- This activity is not suitable for those with a pacemaker or those who are pregnant due to the electronic devices being used in the water (shark shields) whilst participating in the swim.
- Children MUST be 9-years or older to participate in the swim with dolphins but children 8-years and over can participate in coastal snorkelling.
- You need to have basic swimming skills to participate as the swim takes place in open water.
- You will need enough upper body strength to hold on to the dolphin rope and enough lower body strength to use our ladder to get out of the water.
- Basic swimming skills are required
Very. We operate primarily in the coastal waters around Kangaroo Island and don’t go out too deep. Our vessels are custom built for both safety and comfort, and our crew are experienced and have at minimum their coxswain certifications.
The water temperature is between 14-15 degrees. Expect it to be refreshing. We provide you with wet suits and it’s compulsory to wear these whilst in the water. We recommend kids under 14 or those sensitive to the cold to get fitted with 2 wetsuits. We also have hot water showers onboard to warm up after swimming.
You will need to have some basic swimming skills as the Swims happen in the ocean. We do supply you with a life jacket and swimming noodle if needed.
You will need to have enough movement to be able to pull yourself up out of the water onto the vessel. A step is used but some strength is required.
We understand your concern and can assure you that your safety is our number 1 priority. In our 11 years of operation, we have never had a shark incident and take extra precautions. We employ shark shields both before and aft of the boat, covering the entire swim area. Our crew are all highly experienced and keep a constant look out at all times.
- A FULL refund is provided to guests if the tour is cancelled due to poor weather conditions and an alternative time is not established to undertake the tour.
- No refund is provided to guests for non-attendance at scheduled tour time.
- Guests can reschedule tour if required, however need to ensure that more than 48 hours’ notice is provided to Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari via telephone confirmation on +61 8 7082 9607.
- All bookings cancelled within 7 days of scheduled departure will incur a 50% charge of tour costs. Alternatively, a credit can be held for you to use within a 24-month time frame.
- All bookings cancelled within 48-hours of scheduled departure will not receive a refund, but a credit can be held for you to use within a 24-month time frame.
- If you arrive on a cruise ship and cannot get into Penneshaw on your Tender on the day, your tour will be cancelled (and you claim costs through travel insurance), or we can hold it for you to use within a 3-year time frame.
If you arrive on a cruise ship and cannot get into Penneshaw on your Tender on the day, your tour will be cancelled (and you claim costs through travel insurance), or we can hold it for you to use within a 3-year time frame.